Postgraduate research scholarship at the EarthByte Group
How to apply
Send expressions of interest to Dr Adriana Dutkiewicz <email@example.com>
Use this link to apply for the research stipend scholarship:
and, if you are an international student, in addition use the link below to apply for a tuition scholarship:
This scholarship aims to support a student undertaking a PhD within the EarthByte Group in the School of Geosciences, Faculty of Science, with a focus on applying spatio-temporal data analysis for reconstructing the sedimentary evolution of the ocean basins. Deep-sea sediments record changes in climate, paleogeography, surface environments and biogeochemical cycles through geological time. In this project ocean drilling data will be used in combination with paleobathymetric maps, paleoclimate models and machine learning tools to reconstruct the accumulation rates of key components of deep-sea sediments, with a focus on deep-sea carbonates, organic carbon and the global carbon cycle.
The EarthByte Group is a leader in developing spatio-temporal data analysis tools. In this project a range of open-source tools including pyGPlates, pyBacktrack, and machine learning tools will be applied to understand how major changes in ocean basin configurations and paleoclimate are reflected in the history of deep sea sedimentation and carbon storage. This project is part of an ARC Future Fellowship and will involve the Sydney Informatics Hub, offering broad expertise in data science, python scripting and workflow development. This project is perfectly suited to Covid-19 and post-Covid-19 times because it relies on an enormous wealth of existing analytical data and it uses data analysis methods that can easily be applied in other fields, leading to broad employment opportunities.
- Applicants who have either a conditional or unconditional offer of admission for full-time studies in a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) within the Faculty of Science at the University of Sydney
- Applicants must be Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or New Zealand citizens, with an unconditional offer of admission for full-time studies in a PhD within the School of Geosciences, University of Sydney
- Applicant must hold an honours degree (First Class or Second Class upper) or a Masters Degree in geoscience or equivalent with a substantial research component, or equivalent
Applicant must be willing to undertake research in quantitative spatio-temporal data analysis, using python programming.
The successful applicant will be awarded the Scholarship on the basis of:
- academic merit,
- area of study and research proposal,
- curriculum vitae,
- prior research outputs,
- a proven ability to work as part of a team
- a track record of completing tasks against deadlines, and
- a personal statement which demonstrates excellent communication skills
266 total views, 3 views today